Google

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

House Training your Dog: Getting it Right the First Time, in No Time.

House training your new puppy can seem a daunting task. It does not have to be that difficult. It is thought that dogs were domesticated from wolves as early as 100,000 years ago, which means we've been living with and around dogs for quite some time. Of course, that's still an awful long time before we had leather couches, Persian carpets, and condominiums!

So it would seem we've got a huge challenge on our hands (or at least on our floors), and are asking for trouble every time we introduce a new dog in to our unfamiliar modern-age "dens." But that's not necessarily the case. Dogs are INTELLIGENT animals. And, generally, they are CLEAN animals too.

They don't want a mess any more than you do. Most of all, they are loyal and devoted. They don't want to upset the one person who matters most in their lives - you.

I'll never forget the day I took home my first adopted dog, a Labrador and Rottweiler mix named Lea, who had been given up by its owners. She was a truly gorgeous animal, and the day I found her at the dog shelter she was just sitting in the middle of her kennel, the only quiet dog amid a concert of barking kennel mates. She looked at me with that perfect dog eye contact, as if to say "Well, it's about time!"

I was fresh out of school and had no idea what "submissive urination" and "separation anxiety" were, but these were the problems - along with a few others I don't recall - that I was warned about when I took her home three days later. At the shelter, they also told me that they were not sure exactly how old the puppy was (they estimated eight or 10 months), and they were not sure what training, if any, she had.

In my mind, I had taken home an adorable fur ball that could do no wrong. I soon found out that I had an un-trained dog that came with seemingly endless weeks of accidents inside the house (once when I was away she relieved herself right on a book I was reading!) It's not that I didn't get it all sorted in the end. I did, and I wound up with an incredibly intelligent and reliable companion. It's just that when I was trying to train her, a lot of the stuff I tried - and a lot of the frustration I endured - didn't feel right at the time. And it wasn't.

I didn't know nearly enough to train her properly from the start, and the consequence was a lot of stress and confusion for both owner and pet, and a training period that took much, much longer than it ever should have.

Since then, I have not only helped myself by learning effective and lasting methods for house training that I apply with every dog I adopt, but as a practicing dog trainer, I have also helped countless others house train new members of their family. Whether they are new puppies straight from the store or breeder, adopted dogs with a difficult history, or simply adult dogs who have fallen back on bad habits, I have helped these owners meet the challenge of house training by sharing the necessary knowledge and experience.

Accidents will happen. But not for very long, provided you follow the RIGHT PROGRAM for your dog and your situation. with the right program you will learn:

1) How to PUT AND END TO your puppy or adult dog's indoor ACCIDENTS, and how to better COMMUNICATE with your dog in the process. 2) Why the most COMMON REACTION to accidents is also the LEAST CORRECT. 3) Why the GREATEST RISK is often not a matter of whether or not your puppy will learn, but rather how much CONFUSION AND STRESS your training methods may cause. 4) Why "CONFINEMENT" doesn't mean the same thing to you as it does to your dog. 5) How even positive reinforcement (the way you pet your dog) can be physically intimidating if not done properly. 6) Which PRODUCTS may help you in the house training process, and which may be a waste of your money.

You owe it to yourself and your new addition to check out the proper way to train you both! Get a Secrets to Dog Training 6 Day Course FREE by visiting:

http://vur.me/djfunkyslick/canine

No comments:

Post a Comment